Skip to main content

Will online agents take over the world of estate / letting agents?

Be honest, nobody really knows the right answer, nobody knows exactly what will happen, nobody, not even EasyProp, eMoov or House Simple with their millions can produce the future they want, on demand.

Now I know some people are better at speculating than others ... but not by much.

The people who are supposed to know rejected James Dyson when he peddled his vacuum cleaner, Hewlett-Packard and Atari both rejected a couple of chaps called Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak  when they presented their home computer to them. Decca rejected the Beatles and just about every record company rejected Ed Sheeran because he was slightly chubby and ginger. 

 Even Warren Buffet, the billionaire entrepreneur made a $100 billion mistake in the late 1960’s by buying his insurance business through the publically listed Berkshire Hathaway instead of his own investment partnership hedge fund.  Had he bought it the other way, he would be worth $170 billion not the $70 billion he is worth today.

I am of the opinion that if you mistakenly believe that there is someone who knows, you are prone to decide that whoever that person it is, it is probably not you.

And if it's not you, what a great reason to dither to dilly dally and hold one’s horse .. to wait and see.

I set up my company with my wife (and dog .. Joey) because I believed there was a different way for letting and estate agents to market themselves, to attract new business, get landlords to swap letting agents and vendors to use one agency over another. I didn’t invent the system, I just saw a handful of agents doing something different (that appeared to work) , and I thought, what they were doing could be systemised. I could have sat on it and wondered for the rest of life, or just gone for it. The hardest step is the first.

So, if you are thinking of starting your own agency, and you believe you have what I takes to be successful, to be different, then I say go for it.... no one knows if it will work or not.. nobody knows if you will be the CEO of the UK’s largest agency in 10 years or saddled with bankruptcy . You see the gap isn't between the people who know and those that don't. It is really between the people who turn up day after day, month after month, year after year, with their very best work OR those people that hold back. 

What are you going to do?

Your choice.

PS .. my thoughts on the title of the blog post .... not until the online'ers stop banging on on about cheap fees and start to add value