Skip to main content

My competitors .... I hate them all

Last week I was talking to an old estate agency mate at a coffee shop in Grantham (yes, we do have them!). The conversation started out upbeat enough, but then she went into a tirade about an opposing agent in the town was frustrating her no end.

My friend went on and on about how wrong this agent was. Their sharp practices, their shoddy service and how the hell they managed to do so well. Finally, I said: “I have been there and know how you feel. You may be right, but how much time, energy, and effort does this hapless competitor deserve?”

My friend looked shocked. She didn’t even realise that she had spent nearly twenty minutes ranting about this agent  – time that we could have spent on more productive and fun things. As my agent friend left the coffee shop, she paused, turned around, and said, ”Time to let this go?” I nodded and thought: Next time ... ask me a question I don’t know the answer to.